My trip around the world... India

Travel time: July 2004 - December 2007  |  by Nicole Schemionek

31.10. Jogg Falls

in the morning at 7 o'clock it was time to say goodbye to the om beach and move on to some more exciting things... J The Jogg falls were waiting... these are the second biggest waterfalls in India. But only if there is monsoon and in the monsoon you can't come there because the streets are gone... J but it was not real monsoon anymore and so there was a chance to get a nice view. First I had to get to kumta by bus. The bus to the jogg falls was leaving at 9.45 from there. It was big fun to ride with the bus... It was very hilly around there and the streets were really bad because of the last monsoon. So it was more jumping than driving. I was sitting far behind in the bus and was bouncing against the seat in front of me, hurting my knee and sometimes jumping about half a meter high... so a good advise for bus driving in India is: get a sport bra and pregnant or disabled people shouldn't even think about taking the bus. The pregnant will get their child on the way and the disabled might get better... J anyway, the bouncing and jumping wasn't the worst. In front of me there sat a woman and with her husband. I was always glaring out of the window to have a look at the countryside. So I didn't really care about the woman. I was very happy, cos my window was open and I had fresh air around midday, when it got hot outside. The woman was moving... and in an reflex I jumped back from the window... she was leaning outside and vomiting like hell. It was spatting inside on my neighbor seat and it smelled awful. It was just nasty. Christian sat on the other side of the bus and I decided to change seats. So everything was fine again. Then another guy was making his move to the window two seats in front of us. I had an eye for that already and I was screaming to Chris to close the window. In an instant he did this and happily we didn't get all the vomit inside again. It was not so nice in the end because the window kept shut because we were afraid of new attacks... J Finally we arrived at the jogg falls at 13 o'clock and took a room and a nap to recover from the journey. After that we took a jeep and did a little sightseeing tour around. We ve been to the other side of the falls, to another waterfall and to a little hanging bridge. It was quite nice but nothing really exciting. In the afternoon we discovered downtown and went to the wineshop to get us a beer. With the beer we sat down near a grasfield and watched cricket... downtown jogg falls against uptown villagers. It was good fun and a good entertainment for not much money. In the evening we went back to our room, having dinner on the way and went to sleep. The falls by the way were amazing... that's what I found. There was not that much water running down but still it was very impressive... when you stood on top of them watching down 600 meters... it was great. The next morning we got up quite early (7.30 o'clock) had breakfast and then made our way down to the falls. The way down was quite ok. We sat down on the stones and watched the monkeys. They were eating all the plastic stuff all the people left down there. It is not nice to see all the waste around and the people don't care. It's ashame... After a while sitting around and watching and listening to the water we went up again because we had to be out of the room by 12. we didn't make it... the way up was nasty. It took us really long because we needed loads of breaks. Also Indian people made their way up again and they were pausing with us all the time, which was not really good. I felt sick after a while. They sweated really a lot and it smelled from anywhere. I mean I was sweating as well but not stinking that much. So every time we paused they were stopping as well and I had to watch out not to vomit. So I was moving on as fast as I could to get up again, away from the smell... In the end it took us 45 mins to arrive where we started. We went for a quick shower and left the room. We got some lunch and were waiting for our bus down to Malpe... and I was feeling sick again...

You are here : Overview Asia India 31.10. Jogg Falls
The trip
It began July 5, 2004: 8 hours flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Mumbai - where I arrived in an early Indian morning.
Start of journey: Jul 05, 2004
Duration: 3 years
End of journey: December 2007
Travelled countries: India
The Author
Nicole Schemionek is an active author on break-fresh-ground. since 20 years.
Picture of author